Wednesday, May 7, 2008

May 5, 2008


Today we walked the trails around our campus with Professor Davis. I'm not really a nature kind of gal, so I wasn't too thrilled to "explore the wilderness." However, once we got out there, I realized just how beautiful our campus truly is and learned a lot about some of the animals and trees along the way. I actually enjoyed learning about our ecology here in Southwest Florida.

We also watched a video about how our school came about. I cannot believe how much planning, money, and lawyers it took to get our school started. It's actually really inspirational. Thank goodness for Ben Hill Griffin!

So, I thought I'd post some pictures and information about some of the things we saw along the way on the trail. The first, is the Melaleuca tree (see above, it's from www.killerplants.com). The Melaleuca tree is also known as the "paper" tree as well as the "punk" tree. This tree is native to Australia, and has a paper-like bark texture. It is indeed a "punk", in the sense that it dries up water and is difficult to get rid of. My father, a fellow Aussie says they are, "bloody nuisances."

Another "species" we encountered on our journey was the Common Grackle. Professor Davis explained that the bird can often be confused with a Crow, but the Grackle has a distinct difference. It has a yellow ring around the eyes.



No comments: