Monday, June 9, 2008

ECHO

ECHO was an amazing experience. My friend Christina, who had taken this class before, had assured me that I would like it. We all met up at ECHO's office and were eager to get started. We watched a video about the founding of ECHO and what they were all about. I liked that this organization was based on trying different approaches to solve everyday problems. I also liked that they went overseas as well as trying things here in Fort Myers. Our tour guide's name was Justin (at least, I'm pretty sure that was his name!)

Anywho, the first thing we saw was the Duck Hut. The ducks were put in this hut thing and their poop droppings fell into the water, in order to feed the Tilapia fish. We then learned about two different types of bamboo. Running Bamboo is bad! It can get out of control! The next things we saw were the worm composts. I did not really want to look too closely because worms gross me out.

I learned a lot about the environment and ways to do things to help with just a little imagination. For example, their water purification system, growing plants in tires, as well as housing for third world countries!

I'll have a link up for pics soon. I just have to figure it out...

No comments: